- advantage used 4 times.
- advantaged used once.
- advantageth used once.
- Bible Reference: 1 Corinthians 15:32
- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: Yes
- Included in BDB: No
- G3786 Used 1 time
1. Any state, condition, or circumstance, favorable to success, prosperity, interest, or reputation.
The enemy had the advantage of elevated ground.
2. Benefit; gain; profit.
What advantage will it be to thee? Job 35:3.
There exists, in the economy and course of nature, an indissoluble union between virtue and happiness; between duty and advantage
3. Means to an end; opportunity; convenience for obtaining benefit; as, student enjoy great advantages for improvement.
The General took advantage of his enemy's negligence.
4. Favorable state or circumstances; as, jewels set to advantage
5. Superiority, or prevalence over; with of or over.
Lest Satan should get an advantage of us, (or over us.) 2 Corinthians 2:11.
6. Superiority, or that which gives it; as, the advantage of a good constitution.
7. Interest; increase; overplus.
And with advantage means to pay thy love. obsolete
8. Additional circumstance to give preponderation.
ADV'ANTAGE, verb transitive
1. To benefit; as to yield profit or gain.
What is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away? Luke 9:25.
2. To promote; to advance the interest of.
ADV'ANTAGEABLE, adjective Profitable; convenient; gainful. [Little used.]
ADV'ANTAGED, participle passive Benefitted; promoted.
ADV'ANTAGE-GROUND, noun Ground that gives advantage or superiority; a state that gives superior advantages for annoyance or resistance.
ADVANTA'GEOUS, adjective Being of advantage; furnishing convenience, or opportunity to gain benefit; gainful; profitable; useful; beneficial; as, an advantageous position of the troops; trade is advantageous to a nation.
ADVANTA'GEOUSLY, adverb In an advantageous manner; profitably; usefully; conveniently.
ADVANTA'GEOUSNESS, noun The quality or state of being advantageous; profitableness; usefulness; convenience.