- lean used 11 times.
- leaned used 6 times.
- leaneth used twice.
- leanfleshed used 3 times.
- leaning used 3 times.
- leanness used 5 times.
- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: No
- Included in BDB: Yes
- H3602 Used 1 time
- H5564 Used 2 times
- H7329 Used 1 time
- H7330 Used 2 times
- H7534 Used 1 time
- H8172 Used 4 times
LEAN, verb intransitive [Gr., Latin clino.]
1. To deviate or move from a straight or perpendicular line; or to be in a position thus deviating. We say, a column leans to the north or to the east; it leans to the right or left.
2. To incline or propend; to tend toward.
They delight rather to lean to their old customs -
3. To bend or incline so as to rest on something; as, to lean against a wall or a pillar; to lean on the arm of another.
4. To bend; to be in a bending posture.
LEAN, verb transitive
1. To incline; to cause to lean
2. To conceal. [Not in use.]
LEAN, adjective [Latin lenis, and Eng. slender.]
1. Wanting flesh; meager; not fat; as a lean body; a lean man or animal.
2. Not rich; destitute of good qualities; bare; barren; as lean earth.
3. Low; poor; in opposition to rich or great; as a lean action. [Unusual.]
4. Barren of thought; destitute of that which improves or entertains; jejune; as a lean discourse or dissertation.
LEAN, noun That part of flesh which consists of muscle without the fat.
LE'ANLY, adverb Meagerly; without fat or plumpness.
1. Destitution of fat; want of flesh; thinness of body; meagerness; applied to animals.
2. Want of matter; poverty; emptiness; as the leanness of a purse.
3. In Scripture, want of grace and spiritual comfort.
He sent leanness into their soul. Psalms 106:15.
For answering; i.e., in singing, occurs in the title to Psalms 88. The title "Mahalath (q.v.) Leannoth" may be rendered "concerning sickness, to be sung" i.e., perhaps, to be sung in sickness.
LE'ANY, adjective Alert; brisk; active. [Not in use.]