- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: No
- Included in BDB: Yes
HEIGHTEN, verb transitive hitn. To raise higher; but not often used in this literal sense.
1. To advance in progress towards a better state; to improve; to meliorate; to increase in excellence or good qualities; as, to highten virtue; to highten the beauties of description, or of poetry.
2. To aggravate; to advance towards a worse state; to augment in violence.
3. To increase; as, to highten our relish for intellectual pleasure.
HEIGHTENED, participle passive hitnd. Raised higher; elevated; exalted; advanced; improved; aggravated; increased.
HEIGHTENING, participle present tense hitning. Raising; elevating; exalting; improving; increasing; aggravating.
HEIGHTENING, noun hitning. The act of elevating; increase of excellence; improvement.
1. Aggravation; augmentation.