- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: Yes
- Included in BDB: Yes
1. A female born of the same patents; correlative to brother.
2. A woman of the same faith; a female fellow christian. If a brother or sister be naked and destitute of daily food. James 2:15.
3. A female of the same kind.
4. One of the same kind, or of the same condition; as sister-fruits.
5. A female of the same society; as the nuns of a convent.
SIS'TER, verb transitive To resemble closely.
SIS'TER, verb intransitive To be akin; to be near to. [Little used.]
1. Sisters collectively, or a society of sisters; or a society of females united in one faith or order.
2. The officer of duty of a sister. [Little used.]
SISTER-IN-LAW, noun A husband's or wife's sister.
SIS'TERLY, adjective Like a sister; becoming a sister; affectionate; as sisterly kindness.