- dust used 108 times.
- Included in Eastons: Yes
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: Yes
- Included in Smiths: Yes
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: Yes
- Included in BDB: Yes
- H1854 Used 1 time
- H4480 Used 5 times
- H6083 Used 85 times
- H7834 Used 1 time
- H80 Used 5 times
- G2868 Used 5 times
- G5522 Used 2 times
Storms of sand and dust sometimes overtake Eastern travellers. They are very dreadful, many perishing under them. Jehovah threatens to bring on the land of Israel, as a punishment for forsaking him, a rain of "powder and dust" (Deuteronomy 28:24).
To cast dust on the head was a sign of mourning (Joshua 7:6); and to sit in dust, of extreme affliction (Isaiah 47:1). "Dust" is used to denote the grave (Job 7:21). "To shake off the dust from one's feet" against another is to renounce all future intercourse with him (Matthew 10:14; Acts 13:51). To "lick the dust" is a sign of abject submission (Psalms 72:9); and to throw dust at one is a sign of abhorrence (2 Samuel 16:13; comp. Acts 22:23).
Casting of, in anger
2 Samuel 16:13
1. Fine dry particles of earth or other matter, so attenuated that it may be raised and wafted by the wind; powder; as clouds of dust and seas of blood.
2. Fine dry particles of earth; fine earth.
The peacock warmeth her eggs in the dust Job 34:15.
3. Earth; unorganized earthy matter.
DUST thou art, and to dust shalt thou return. Genesis 3:14.
4. The grave.
For now shall I sleep in the dust Job 7:5.
5. A low condition.
God raiseth the poor out of the dust 1 Samuel 2:8.
DUST, verb transitive
1. To free from dust; to brush, wipe or sweep away dust; as, to dust a table or a floor.
2. To sprinkle with dust
3. To levigate.
DUST-BRUSH, noun A brush for cleaning rooms and furniture.
DUSTER, noun An utensil to clear from dust; also, a sieve.
DUSTINESS, noun The state of being dusty.
DUST-MAN, noun One whose employment is to carry away dirt and filth.
1. Filled, covered or sprinkled with dust; clouded with dust.
2. Like dust; of the color of dust; as a dusty white; a dusty red.