- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: Yes
- Included in BDB: Yes
1. That which a person owes to another; that which a person is bound, by any natural, moral or legal obligation, to pay, do or perform. Obedience to princes, magistrates and the laws is the duty of every citizen and subject; obedience, respect and kindness to parents are duties of children; fidelity to friends is a duty; reverence, obedience and prayer to God are indispensable duties; the government and religious instruction of children are duties of parents which they cannot neglect without guilt.
2. Forbearance of that which is forbid by morality, law, justice or propriety. It is our duty to refrain from lewdness, intemperance, profaneness and injustice.
3. Obedience; submission.
4. Act of reverence or respect.
They both did duty to their lady.
5. The business of a soldier or marine on guard; as, the company is on duty It is applied also to other services or labor.
6. The business of war; military service; as, the regiment did duty in Flanders.
7. Tax, toll, impost, or customs; excise; any sum of money required by government to be paid on the importation, exportation, or consumption of goods. An impost on land or other real estate, and on the stock of farmers, is not called a duty but a direct tax.
Of man to God
Deuteronomy 6:5; Deuteronomy 10:12-13; Deuteronomy 11:1; Deuteronomy 30:15-20; Joshua 22:5; Joshua 23:11; Psalms 31:23; Proverbs 23:26; Matthew 4:10; Matthew 12:50; Matthew 22:21; Matthew 22:36-40; Luke 17:10; Luke 21:3-4; John 4:34; John 6:38; John 14:15; John 14:21; John 15:14; Acts 4:19-20; Acts 5:29; Jude 1:21
Commandments; Faithfulness; Obedience
Of man to man
Tribute levied on foreign commerce by Solomon.
1 Kings 10:15