- First Reference: Leviticus 13:33
- Last Reference: Acts 21:24
- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: Yes
- Included in BDB: Yes
SHAVE, verb transitive preterit tense shaved; participle passive shaved or shaven.
1. To cut or pare off something from the surface of the body by a razor or other edged instrument, by rubbing, scraping or drawing the instrument along the surface; as, tto shave the chin and cheeks; to shave the head of its hair.
He shall shave his head in the day of his cleansing. Numbers 6:9.
2. To shave off, to cut off.
Neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard. Leviticus 21:5.
3. To pare close.
The bending sythe
Shaves all the surface of the waving green. Gay.
4. To cut off thin slices; or tho cut in thin slices.
5. To skim along the surface near it; to sweep along.
He shaves with level wing the deep. Milton.
6. To strip; to oppress by extortion; to fleece.
7. To make smooth by paring or cutting off slices; as, to shave hoops or staves.
To shave a note. to purchase it at a great discount, a discount much beyong the legal rate of interest. [A low phrase.]
SHAVE, noun An instrument with a long blade and a handle at each end for shaving hoops, etc.; called also a drawing knife.
SHA'VED, participle passive Pared; made smooth with a razor or other cutting instrument; fleeced.
SHA'VE-GRASS, noun A plant of the genus Equisetum.
the plain; that makes equality
Called also the king's dale
Absalom's pillar in
2 Samuel 18:18
(plain), The valley of, described (Genesis 14:17) as "the valley of the king," is mentioned again in (2 Samuel 18:18) as the site of a pillar set up by Absalom.
A valley in Moab.
(plain of the double city), mentioned (Genesis 14:5) as the residence of the Emim at the time of Chedorlaomer's incursion. Kiriathaim is named in the later history, though it has not been identified; and Shaveh Kiriathaim was probably the valley in or by which the town lay.
Valley of the plain the ancient name of the "king's dale" (q.v.), or Kidron, on the north side of Jerusalem (Genesis 14:17).
Plain of Kirja-thaim where Chedorlaomer defeated the Emims, the original inhabitants (Genesis 14:5). Now Kureiyat, north of Dibon, in the land of Moab.
SHA'VELING, noun A man shaved; a friar or religious; in contempt.
1. One that shaves or whose occupation is to shave.
2. One that is close in bargains or a sharp dealer.
This Lewis is a cunning shaver. Swift.
3. One that fleeces; a pillager; a punderer.
By these shavers the Turks werestripped of all they had. Knolles.
SHA'VER, noun A boy or young man. This word is still in common use in New England. It must be numbered among our original words.