- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: No
- Included in BDB: Yes
FOR'TIFY, verb transitive
1. To surround with a wall, ditch, palisades or other works, with a view to defend against the attacks of an enemy; to strengthen and secure by forts, batteries and other works of art; as, to fortify a city, town or harbor.
2. To strengthen against any attack; as, to fortify the mind against sudden calamity.
3. To confirm; to add strength and firmness to; as, to fortify an opinion or resolution; to fortify hope or desire.
4. To furnish with strength or means of resisting force, violence or assault.
FOR'TIFY, verb intransitive To raise strong places.